15/10/2014

All India Radio - All India Radio

Track list:

5. Evening Star
9. Waukaringa

Running time: 9 minutes
Released: 2003


A stub; 2 songs from this album, one downloaded free at LastFM just now, another which I can only surmise was previously available free on LastFM but is no longer, which is why this is in my library.

I do not know much about All India Radio, but I seem to have a fair number (18) of tracks by them from a number of different releases. I would imagine all free and all from LastFM; they still have a number of downloads listed there, though the tracks do not all line up with what I have. I cannot think of any other source, though... I do not believe I ever bought anything by AIR, I have no physical discs, and I am not in the habit of downloading stuff illicitly. Anyhow - 2 songs, lets hear them.

Evening Star is pleasant enough - familiar sounding guitar-provided instrumental over (I would guess) synth backing. It evokes a wide open sky on a warm summer night - which is probably intentional to go by "Australian" and the cover image. It is perfectly listenable, even if it does repeat refrains too often. It is pretty good background music, a settled rhythm to the piece, and entirely inoffensiv.e. Waukaringa is the currently free song linked above. It is sparse. I think I prefer this. It eventually gets a beat after 2 minutes in and goes downhill a bit. The lovely light touch replaced with a generic-sounding loop which - like Evening Star - is perfectly listenable but not really engaging.

I would say both songs are reasonable pieces but there just does not feel like there is any heft to them, anything other than a nice hum to remove silence - a shame because I thought Waukaringa was going to be a stunning ambient track at first. Never mind. Whilst I could listen to either again and not complain, I have no drive to do so, too little engagement. Another casualty.

No comments:

Post a Comment