15/12/2014

A-side B-side Seaside - Randolph's Leap

Track list:

1. Please Don't Belong   
2. What Have I Done?

Running time: 6 minutes
Released: 2009
A two-track e.p. that I believe I got free - indeed I did - I do not know what to expect from this. Randolph's Leap fit into that bracket of band names I can place but cannot put a sound to... you know, the sort of band there seem to be 1500 of in Glasgow alone. That sounds pejorative but it is not meant as such; lesser known Scottish bands feature quite heavily in my library as a whole. The truth is, though, that I only have this because it was free, and even then it was a relatively recent download. Time to see whether it should be kept.

The first track is a song sung over a very sparse and quiet background, with a harmony introduced for the chorus. It is a self-deprecating number with a certain charm to it, but not something that I would listen to through choice. What Have I Done starts similarly, though the vocal is less tuneful on this occasion. More instrumentation is added instead and this crafts a pleasant strum-along sound. In contrast to the song which seems to be about someone arseing up a relationship really badly. Ultimately there is not quite enough here to keep me interested past this listen, but two short free tracks are worth the time if you like acoustic indie Scottish stuff. It's only 6 minutes, and the price is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment