03/04/2016

Bring Me Sun for Breakfast - Thumpermonkey Lives!

Track list:

1. My Reality is Stronger

Running time: 8 minutes
Released: 2007
Random interlude for a LastFM sourced singleton now. I have no idea what to expect here, I only know that I got to Thumpermonkey Lives! somehow via their version of folk standard Tam Lin. I have just the 8 minute opening track, but there are 4 more available on Bandcamp.

I am struggling to stay awake after a long weekend roleplaying and forcing myself into this listen to postpone my bedtime a little longer. My eyes want to close, and my mind is already shut for business so this may not make much sense. On the plus side it's only 8 minutes to get through.

Unsupported guitar chords; it sounds like it can't decide whether it wants to explode into some jangly Laika and the Cosmonauts style pop or some cheesy Hawaiian movie music. Instead it evolves an understated vocal, a subdued feel. It is a sparse piece - not at all unpleasant, but really odd in its construction, the tension between what is actually delivered and the sound it seems to want to explode into but never does. I hear echoes of And None of Them Knew They Were Robots in there too. The vocal gets less dull over the course of the track, but it wanders all over the shop in terms of tone - weird, understated, angry, punky, Bowie, and a few other flavours on the way. Weird harmonisations in places - by 7 minutes the track generally has a bit more life to it, some heavier chords, a bit of bite, and yet... that is the point the vocals go higher pitched. Very incongruous. This is like a stereotype of prog rock in its oddity, it's inability to settle on what to be. I find it diverting for the full 8 minutes, but a little too random to want to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment