25/07/2016

Byrne - EP - Byrne

Track list:

2. Nothing Left Here
3. Time Wounds All Heals

Running time: 9 minutes
Released: 2003
Almost through B now after slogging since Jan 2015. I am missing track 1 (Tidal Wave) because it would duplicate a track from Byrne's mini-album Slowly and Gloriously, of which I was very fond back when I picked it up. That makes this a very short listen. The band vanished pretty quickly after this, too. Lets see if that was a shame.

It is Monday morning, I'm waiting for the damp surveyor. Lets try to sneak this in before he gets here, and before I have to start work.

Nothing Left Here starts with a fairly generic acoustic guitar hook, an interesting vocal comes in. It sounds vaguely harmonic but I think its post-processing rather than multiple voices. The arrangement grows a little to support the song, which is soft and distant. There is a bit of a swell for the chorus, but this is not a loud track: it is a reflective one. Understated British indie music of the early 2000s. Could be any of many. I do like the vocal though.

Time Wounds All Heals - they must have thought this a clever play on words but the rearrangement makes no sense. It has a more defined, stronger sound. The vocal effects are similar; I am trying but failing to recall who it reminds me of. I prefer the melody here, there is a nice ring to the main guitar part, but in truth it is a very bland indie guitar band song without much to distinguish it from a thousand others bar the fact I am listening to it right now. The lead out is a bit different and spacey, which lends the track a changed feel in hindsight, so that's nice.

A diverting enough 9 minutes I suppose but I really have little else to say about it. Roll on the Cs.

No comments:

Post a Comment