07/01/2017

Chap With the Wings, Five Rounds Rapid - Thumpermonkey Lives!

Track list:

5. Doughboy
6. Don't Wake Me
8. Melissa Leaves the Wrong Kind of Audit Trail
9. My Debt to Scientology

Running time: 12 minutes
Released: 2006
OK - random insert time. I picked up a few freebies from somewhere after noticing Thumpermonkey had covered Tam Lin, just around the time I was really getting into folk music. I suspect a trainwreck as far as my enjoyment goes, but one has to be sure... I do give them props for the album title though, and the art is interesting, stylistic and bold yet indistinct.

Doughboy is a rap tune, with an American accent. This is not what I was expecting at all. I sit here lost for words... is there some kind of mix up? The tune itself is pretty staid, a decent loop that supports the vocal well enough but its all a little bland. I am just suffering expectation dissonance rather than stunned by brilliance or awfulness. Then I look them up on Bandcamp, find this album and the samples. Track names match; times don't. Play one to check. Yup, something gone wrong here. The freebie songs I grabbed from wherever are decidedly not this album, so I delete them, and proceed to listen to what I can through Bandcamp - which seems happy to stream entire tunes.

Don't Wake me evokes Sweet Billy Pilgrim in places, which to be fair is much more what I was expecting to find. I get track 7, Memory Fat as a "bonus" for the change of approach. Call it a stand in for Doughboy, which I don't go back for. This is more experimental, noisy, growling and faux metal. I don't care for it.

I am left wondering if the error was on my side, did I mislabel something I downloaded, or was the file not what it claimed to be? I guess I'll never know. Anyhow - this will take more than 12 minutes now, as Melissa is almost 7 alone. It's a prog-y rock epic, then. There are some nice points in the guitar work, it reminds me some of And None Of Them Knew They Were Robots, only without the tightness and purpose or visceral appeal to back up an unexpectedly tuneful centre. (Grr. I keep having my browser suggest spellings for perfectly good English; I have never found a way to stop that happening reliably and constantly for non-US English). I have tuned out of Melissa - which whilst it has an amusing title (I wonder is it a euphemism?) has little else to recommend it. In places it sounds like they've recorded a lawnmower (or other small petrol) engine as a component.

The final step on this voyage of oddity is... a lonely piano melody. What? It's actually a rather nice one - not top tier composition or anything, but the way it is recorded evokes a piano alone in an empty auditorium, shadows cloaking around it. It goes a little spikey and high-pitch for my tastes after that, ruining the effect. The contrast between this tune and the prior one was an interesting one, but frankly that is all I have to note.

So, a cock-up of a post, an oddity of an album and a few minutes of my life I won't get back. A few MB cleared up, but an interesting interlude to an otherwise dull day.

No comments:

Post a Comment