20/03/2017

Chinchilla-Tone Real Civilised - David Thomas Broughton

Track list:

1. One Day

Running time: 5 minutes
Released: 2007
An odd singleton now. I don't think the album is by the artist, Googling it appears to be a compilation, but I only have the one track by the one guy, so I'll stick with this title. David Thomas Broughton covered a track for the special edition of James Yorkston's When the Haar Rolls In, I rather liked his effort apart from the end where it devolved into odd freak-folk discord. There was something about his voice though, and so when I found this as a freebie somewhere I downloaded it.

Broughton's voice is haunting. The tune opens with him repeating "That one day, you may go" again and again, no music behind him, and another voice joining him a bit in. It's surprisingly effective because his voice has a resonance. The other voices start to vary pitch and function as instruments, even whilst contributing parts of the central phrase. This would be a fine premise on which to build, and to be fair they do build up and vary how the voices interact, but it is not enough to sustain a 5 and a half minute tune. We get little strains of a guitar tune around the 3 minute mark, the first hints of instrumentation.  It's a nice, if mournful tune that is picked out, still over a chorus of "That one day, you may go". I find myself really liking the tune despite its repetition, and despite the disappointment that it doesn't really go anywhere. The guitar drops out suddenly, the tune pares back to Broughton, some other lyrics appear. This is the final minute. It then fades out rather than concluding cleanly.

It's a hot mess of a song, but there is something compelling about it too. A tugging, a longing, something. I think I'll hold on to it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment