03/05/2017

Classics for the Heart - Frédéric Chopin

Track list:

2. Nocturne in C-sharp minor, Op. posth.

Running time: 3 minutes
Released: 1999
This title comes from a 1999 CD release of classical tunes, but I am pretty sure that it was on my computer as a free sample, as I only have the one Chopin track, so I am crediting it to him. The date tag reflects that CD release, not the original date for the piece.

I heard this track relatively recently on Ólafur Arnalds & Alice Sara Ott's The Chopin Project; I doubt that I will pick up on the differences in the performance, so I suspect I might just ditch this but I will see how it sounds before I do so.

It is a nice piano melody, slow and stately pace but with some trills and runs that give it a bit of life. Light touch, fairly high in the register, floating across the room from the speaker.  It sounds... a little tepid? Insular? As if performed in a perspex box, but not for the amusement of those looking in. I don't feel a connection to the piece, even as I rather like it - and I can only put that down to the specific performance and recording. It doesn't strike me as worth maintaining in addition to the Arnalds/Ott offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment