14/06/2017

Clean the Night - eagleowl

Track list:

1. Clean the Night
2. Life We Knew

Running time: 8 minutes
Released: 2014
Ah eagleowl (small e because all their promo stuff eschews capitals; alas I capitalised the tag some time back and cannot seem to correct this). One of my favourite bands all told. I bought this earlier this year - not realising they had made anything available since This Silent Year in 2013. I routinely find myself listening to shuffles just of eagleowl tracks - there is something very pleasant and rewarding about their understated compositions that just chimes with me. These two tracks cost me the best part of a tenner (I did get the physical picture disc for that, too, mind).

I am doing this on the first day on my Grecian holiday for the year, good intentions to do it earlier dashed by tiredness. Now, with a 30 degree plus sun outside the slow, dark, moody tones of Scotland feel a long way off. There is, though, a definite comfort in the simple guitar hook, the droning strings and the accented vocal. I am starting to unwind after the travel yesterday and the joy of not having anything to do today, and whilst incongruous with the Mediterranean weather, the post-folk refrains of Clean the Night are joyous invitations to relax. There is a soothing quality to the primary male voice in particular, but that is backed up well.

The second, shorter, track is more peppy to begin with - the snatched chords brighter and happier even as the words reference scattering ashes. The upbeat nature of the song shines through, little hook repeating, the layers of dark strings from the first tune absent for the most part. There is a constant chorus of "oohs" from the female vocalist giving a nice contrast to the male-led song and whilst by the time it closes I find the track a little repetitive I cannot hold this against them. eagleowl bring me joy... I rather wish there was more.

No comments:

Post a Comment