05/10/2017

Come Away With Me - Norah Jones

Track list:

1. Don't Know Why
2. Seven Years
3. Cold Cold Heart
4. Feelin’ the Same Way
5. Come Away With Me
6. Shoot the Moon
7. Turn Me On
8. Lonestar
9. I've Got to See You Again
10. Painter Song
11. One Flight Down
12. Nightingale
13. The Long Day Is Over
14. The Nearness of You

Running time: 44 minutes
Released: 2002
Yes, I own this - along with everyone else on the planet who bought music back in 2002. It was pretty hard to avoid Norah Jones' debut. What I don't remember is whether I picked it up because I'd heard it and liked it, or whether I picked it up to see what all the fuss was about. In either case, it's next on my list.

After two discs pushing the hour mark with relatively few tracks it is nice to have something short and quick through the numbers. 14 tunes in 44 minutes doesn't give each tune long to make a lasting impression, but then I don't really expect this album to leave a mark from individual tracks, rather for it to work as a mood piece. Jones' voice is lovely, and the simple and open jazzy arrangement is relaxing.

There is a lazy afternoon feel to the opening couple of songs and this is pretty much what I was expecting going in - nevermind that it is 9.30am and this is not even the second thing on my hit-list for the day. Vacation? These days time off work seems to be code for "do chores at home" as I find it tough to fit them around work days.

Jones' tones have a smokey quality to them and she sings in a way that makes the notes sound lower than they are in places. It's mass-market appeal, but that doesn't make it any less appealing. The simplistic arrangements might start to wear on me as the disc progresses though, and I can already see why opening track Don't Know Why got all the play as the next couple of songs haven't had nearly the same level of polish. This is lounge music, noughties style, falling into the semi-conscious background almost by design; I'm sure the performers would protest, but that's the purpose of mood music.

Title track Come Away With Me is next up, and even this lacks the impact of Don't Know Why. I seem to recall that the title line was featured heavily in advertising (for obvious reasons) but even that doesn't have the same easy approachable immediacy of the opening track. This short song is less afternoon, more evening, and totally inappropriate for a bright morning. Shoot the Moon is the first time I think the mark set by the first number is even close to being met again, and whilst it is cheesy in places (that guitar, really...) the sound has a nice womb-like quality, and the pacing of the vocal fits nicely.

It doesn't really feel as though the tracks are flying by, which I suppose means that some of them, at least, are rather dragging.

As much as I appreciate the ability to set a mood and nail it, as much as I like this sort of mood in the right context, and as much as I could see this as a nice enforced slowdown... It isn't morning music. Not in the slightest. I am also now convinced that I bought this to see what the fuss was about. This is going to sound bad, but to paraphrase someone I once knew it feels like "music for people who don't like music" - that is open and approachable, perfectly fine and even enjoyable, but lacking a real hook to get people to want to really pay attention. I suppose that is basically guaranteed in something that hits the critical mass of mainstream appeal across demographics, otherwise it wouldn't have got where it did.

All of which is a long winded way of saying that I like it, but I don't like it; I am happy enough hearing it, but I don't want to listen to it again. There isn't an anchor pulling me back in.

Looking down the track list in my media player, it seems that the most impactful tracks have a composer in common. Jones is singing tunes written by others, and the ones that have stood out to me on this pass through have all been credited to Jesse Harris for composition. That name means nothing to me, so I have no idea whether these are older tunes dug up, or composed for Jones by associates. In either case, Harris is credited for the three best tracks so far - Don't Know Why, Shoot the Moon and I've Got to See You Again. I don't know if this is priming, but the opening bars of another Harris-penned tune immediately seem to set a better tone again with One Flight Down. It's funny how the mind can do things like that. The song doesn't go anywhere great thereafter though.

The longer my exposure to this album the less positive the overall impression is becoming, the less it feels each new track is adding to the mix. It seems to me that you could distill the essence of Norah Jones down to a single track, play that and wow people, then leave. Which I guess is what happened around Don't Know Why. You have to hand it to her marketing team for that... selling a whole truckload of albums all around the world based on one song. In hindsight I feel suckered, I think I probably was. (I think a similar thing happened a couple of years later with Corinne Bailey Rae, too).

Not to be negative or anything (I fucking love W1A) but whilst there are some really strong points to Jones' recordings my take away from this is more one of disappointment. Her voice is smooth and pitched nicely, but it needs pairing with better arrangements, more interesting songs, to make it into a bigger selling point. As nice as it is, it isn't a voice that I would want to hear "sing the phonebook", and some of the tracks here leave me as cold as that document would.

No comments:

Post a Comment