25/08/2014

Meta: A Dilemma

So before I get out of the "numerics" I need to make a decision: do I rip those albums that are not part of my electronic library but are in my physical library? Most (but maybe not all) of those are omitted for a reason - namely that I grew away from them before I was routinely ripping bought music and so had no driving reason to commit them to mp3. The sensible thing to do would be to leave them where they are... out of earshot, out of mind.

Yet somehow that does not seem quite in the spirit of the endeavour. Things that do not pass a quality test, but which were bought more recently are in, so why should I exclude the older stuff that is now of lesser interest? There is a school of thought that suggests that negative posts could be more interesting and much as I might have to endure a few hours of aural displeasure, there is definitely a glee to be found in penning a derogatory response.

As that suggests, I am already leaning heavily to ripping the missing material. In fact I have already pulled out the discs that I think comprise the missing cohort so that I may start ripping them at my leisure. It will take a while - there are more in the pile than I expected - so things may start appearing out of order unless I get a move on. I would need to mark them out if so. I best get going, then?

I can always silently skip them later, whistling innocently, if I really cannot face listening to them, right? Sure. The big problem that leaves is the debris in future random plays. Yes, there's a load of junk there now, and yes I spend a lot of time skipping already; do I really need to exacerbate that problem? I suppose that if I rip them, listen, and then delete them, and plan to do so with existing content, then problem solved, right?

Something to chew over this evening... maybe I can cut down the list to stuff that is missing for some other reason. Maybe I should just suck it up. Maybe I should stop thinking so far ahead when I am barely started. None of that sits well with my psyche though. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment