27/09/2014

Afraid to Dance - port-royal

Track List:

1. Bahnhoff Zoo
5. Decadence

Running time: 14 minutes
Released 2007
So this is two tracks that are free on LastFM.

I cannot recall what led me to pick up Decadance, but I only just downloaded Bahnhoff Zoo (I could see that as a band name) now, as I prepare to listen. A friend of mine who I speak to too infrequently these days has several plays of this band though, so that might have had something to do with it. Still, I do not know what to expect here, even though I have apparently scrobbled Decadence 8 times prior.

I do like the oh-so-dated cover photo though. Look at those short shorts!

Bahnhoff Zoo is low-key, a rolling loop of a background with some very light tunes over the top. It is a nice contrast, though it probably rumbles on too long before the change comes in. Unfortunately rather than giving a more audible melody, the change breaks up the ominiously established loop and the tone of the piece was lost at that moment. Still, a reasonable find.

Decadence has more of a beat - it is too front and centre for me though. There are more melodic stylings over the top though, which remind me of I Break Horses. This is a long track - 9 of the 14 minutes - and after about 3 it switches and the prominent beat is replaced by something less intrusive. Unfortunately most of the more interesting tunes go with it. It recovers a bit after 5 minutes, but ultimately there is never quite enough going on in the track for me to really get into it. The 9 minute track is more like 3 or 4 shorter tracks mixed together in some ways, there is no real continuity or coherence. It is pleasant enough once that initial thumping beat is dropped though and is decent background music.

There is not enough here to have me looking up where to acquire the whole album but there is also no reason to remove this from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment