16/02/2016

Both Sides - Moonrakers

Track list

1. Sweetheart Reel
2. Both Sides the Tweed
3. Blind Mary
4. Carolan's Welcome
5. Maid of Culmore
6. Castle Kelly
7. Northern Coast
8. Sheebeg and Shemore
9. Never Be the Sun
10. Delbury Revisited
11. Swallow Song/King of the Faeries
12. Jock O'Hazeldean
13. Kathleen Ashore

Running time: 42 minutes
Released: 2005
This was a gift - the sort of well-meaning gift you get if someone knows you like folk music, but knows nothing about the folk music scene, or what about it appeals. Moonrakers are, apparently, an Oxford-based group, and this local aspect probably plays in to that somewhere.  I have never really given it a chance so now it gets its moment in the limelight, to suggest to me why I was wrong to ignore it until now. I expect it to be fairly twee and cliched, but to probably enjoy it despite that. My suspicion is that it would be better experienced live than recorded however.

It certainly starts to expectation, flutes and harps - no great surprise, they are right there on the cover. It is very different in feel because of that though, the other reels I have amongst my library are almost all pipe and fiddle jobs and this combination has a distinct sound. It sounds... older, but no more authentic. There is an echo on the piece I guess from the harp which makes me think of medieval TV show music. We drop into a song next and the vocalist has a much more pleasant voice than I was expecting, and a nice harmony. I think it is fair to say that - albeit just two tracks in - my expectations were pretty much spot on.

So despite being off work, I failed to fit a listen in on Monday - time just vanished somehow. I am not letting two days pass like that though. The third track is much pared down, harp and another stringed instrument - I'd guess that thing (bouzouki?) the bloke on the right is holding on the cover. The flute only arrives later, but it is a welcome arrival, lifting the tune from dull to gently enjoyable, whilst still skirting with the limits of what is acceptably twee. Thus far the tempo has been lower than I expected, more chamber performance, and I think it is that angle of this piece that grates on me a little. Folk is more interesting when it has a bit of spice somewhere and this is all a little stately and staid. It might be good soundtrack material though.

Maid of Culmore I think I have other versions of. Looking it up, indeed I do: Cara Dillon. I prefer Dillon's version, a little richer in sound and a more polished voice. When this song draws down Castle Kelly has a bit more percussion and a higher pace, making it immediately more interesting. It is not a world-beating tune or anything, but there is life and energy in the playing - the harp included - and it makes for a nice little insert. Replaced by something that sounds more modern - by which I mean 70s popular folk... definitely twee but again the voices work well and the simple melodies are pleasant enough. It is more palatable than most of the fare on The Best of British Folk [Castle] - Various Artists whilst treading similar ground.

Back to more traditional-sounding material, then for a quiet piece that evokes memories of some of the soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings movies - particularly scenes in The Shire. This is less polished than my memories of those soundtracks (which I don't have) but there is a definite similarity in how the flute is applied in particular. This is followed by another 70's-sounding number which again just manages to stay the right side of trite so as to remain pleasant. The vocal combination - one guy, one gal - is really a high point for this group and I am a little disappointed that it isn't employed more often (half the tunes are instrumental) or with less cliched tunes to back them up.

All that said, I find it rather soothing. I suddenly really feel like I am on holiday today because whilst I prefer punchier, livelier folk music the use of the flute in particular sets a quiet tone that translates to a calm frame of mind and the harp in place of a fiddle at least sets this group aside from the rest of the folk artists that I have. So I gripe, but as I predicted before I began I am rather enjoying it. I would prefer not to simply be listening to this, though - it is not really arresting enough to demand and keep my full attention... so much so that I look up and suddenly I am on the last track. The sounds all blurring together as one, pleasing but easy to tune out to.

Overall, actually I find myself coming away from this more positive than I expected to be. My predictions were largely right but the disc has delivered a little more - largely because of the great harmonies on the vocal numbers and because the flautist and the harp offer something different to the rest of my folk stable. A pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment