21/02/2016

Break it Yourself - Andrew Bird

Track list:

1. Desperation Breeds
2. Polynation
3. Danse Carribe
4. Give It Away
5. Eyeoneye
6. Lazy Projector
7. Near Death Expereince Expereince
8. Things Behind The Barn
9. Lusitania
10. Oprheo Looks Back
11. Sifters
12. Fatal Shore
13. Hole In The Ocean Floor
14. Belles

Running time: 60 minutes
Released: 2012
Whistling man time. That's how I think of Andrew Bird, even if it doesn't necessarily reflect in all of his works. My introduction to him was a track that had a lot of him whistling and so he is forever described.

This album starts with a jolt - a discordant noise startles me as I press play, before it settles into the sort of soft acoustic fare I would expect from Bird, his voice lying above a simple little melody. Arguably his pieces are better in the bridges, away from the vocal. There those simple ditties become more elaborate tapestries of a variety of sounds, all of which are fairly relaxing, fairly straightforward, but which mesh really well. That said, Desperation Breeds has a couple of really sharp tones and warbles which are a little too high and too acute for my taste. It is the end of a week off and I have come over all tired and despondent about going back to work tomorrow. Or rather about not having really managed to achieve enough whilst off. I completed and checked off a number of tasks, but some key goals for the week remain unmet even whilst unconsidered items got tackled. This post is me running away from any more, into something I promised myself I would find time for.

Polynation is a weird little interlude before the third track. Danse Carribe has a nice gentle flow to it, strings and guitar with drums. It has a pastoral air to begin with before sounds that I guess approximate steel drums with other instruments and lend the name pop up, along with our first instance of whistling on the record. It then morphs into a folky dance number. Overall it is a bit of a hodge-podge of a tune, but a very pleasantly diverting one. This sort of meandering number is typical of what drew me to Bird's music. This is, of course, not the first time he has appeared on this page. Bird's style is idiosyncratic, I can't really say I have anything else quite like this - wandering all over the place. Give It Away is staccato to the point of obnoxiousness for a large part of its run, but it is tailed by a lovely little tune and duet.

There is another different tone at the start of the oddly-named Eyeoneye, a more standard structure in some ways. This is the track that gives the album its name, a song about self-heartbreak? More whistles in the middle of it, but that quirk aside the form of the song could easily be any number of other artists, but the style... I can't quite decide whether I like it a lot or whether I am bored by it. It wavers between brilliance and a flatness that I can't quite describe.

My challenge for the coming week is to keep up the momentum of these listens that I have, largely, been able to establish over my holiday. Sure, I missed a couple of days but I broke the habit of mooching instead of addressing the task, albeit one I set myself and only I care about whether I continue (let alone complete). It's one thing to pick these up when I am free and haven't expended mental energy by doing a day's work; it's another to find evening time during working weeks and amidst other plans. Lazy Projector is a nice Birdian number, it has passed by whilst I mull my immediate future, and then we get another oddly titled track. I'm not sure I want to experience the Near Death Experience Experience, but here it is. It has a nice motion to it, a roll, muted strings and percussion carrying the tune effortlessly, jauntily, along. Odder sounds appear in and around this core, but the song's charm is in the basic pairing,

Ugh, mental tiredness is making finding anything interesting a chore to type. Another little interlude has sailed by before we land on Lusitania. Sinking ships indeed. I mentioned on Armchair Apocrypha that I like Andrew Bird's voice. It isn't just the timbre, its not necessarily pitch perfect delivery. Its just a homely, welcome sound. On this album he seems to be sharing vocal with a female voice, and there is a particularly nice harmony on this track. The jauntiness is back, with distinct echoes of... I guess Penguin Cafe Orchestra; Orpheo Looks Back is probably the nicest track on the album thus far. There is a real sense of... something to it. A folky edge? I dunno... hard to articulate, too tired.

Some of the sounds on Sifters are a little too flat for me, but the song itself is pleasant; when Bird isn't singing, it feels a bit pointless, lifeless. When his emotion-infused vocal is applied it gives the track that second layer that it needs to really click. This latter part of the album seems to lean toward the sparse which is a shame, not where I think the artist's strengths lie. He builds and intertwines sounds very well, and so when stripped right back to a melody and some percussion as is the case on Fatal Shore my interest suffers. This tune is also soporifically slow, relaxed, chilled... not helping! It's far too early to go to bed yet, though an early night (and a chance to read a couple of chapters before getting it) are the only other things on my to do list for this evening other than dinner.

Hole in the Ocean Floor is 8 minutes long; I really hope that it has something to it to justify the length, some heft and weight to sustain it that far. It does not start well from that point of view... too slow and sparse, but a nice enough little melody. It continues stumbling on this route for 4 minutes, at which point I start to lose interest. It's not that the tune is unpleasant, it's just a bit of a wander - which allows my mind to do the same. At which point it loses my attention and offers little by way of an attempt to draw me back.

The final track is humourously named "Belles" as it is all chimes. It reminds me a little of Sigur Rós for some reason - particularly warm winter scenes from the film Heima. The chiming lasts a couple of minutes then departs, without ever amounting to more. It leaves a strange silence - they felt like they should have been building to something, or at least fading out a bit more gently. I am left feeling less enthused than I expected to be before I began... I put that down to my state of mind rather than any real fault in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment