22/05/2016

Broken Beats - Pogo

Track list:

1. Gitch
2. White Dresses
3. Symphony #69
4. Hate from Love
5. Get Out...
6. Come In...
7. SlowMo Rain
8. Drunk in the Mat-Mobile

Running time: 22 minutes
Released: 2008
Random insert time. This is apparently a 2013 album according to Amazon, iTunes etc. but I could have sworn that I have had these tracks for much longer than that, lying around unappreciated after I grabbed them when they were offered for free on LastFM. Going back to that source, and via there Wikipedia, it seems it was a 2008 release and that the creator is an Australian. My only inkling is that this is some kind of electronica, and I can only assume that I picked it up because I noticed it as free - even if it no longer is. No idea what I will make of it.

It is almost impossible to read that first track name and not insert an "l"; glitch being an actual word. It has a rather cheesy tune behind, not over, some programmed beats. Here the melody is clearly background to the rhythms by virtue of the amplitude of the recordings. It is thoroughly inoffensive stuff, though the little vocal sample is a bit blah, and it sets a tone that is continued by the second track. Some old-timey style sounds in a distant sample and percussive structure layered on top. I find White Dresses less engaging, like a poor man's Public Service Broadcasting; there are vocal snippets that feel like they should be used PSB style, but there is a lot less innovation or interest in the music crafted around them.

I don't think the PSB comparison is fair, though. Those guys built tracks around their samples. Here the old material is being sampled in and sprinkled for interest. It's not as good, but it is not setting out to do the same thing, either. Symphony #69 is longer at 4 minutes (the first two were short pieces) and it really shouldn't be. There is not enough happening in the tune to justify the extra run-time and I find myself wishing it closed before it concludes. It is replaced by a darker sound, a more interesting sound initially - but one that gets stale even before its sub 2-minute time is up. For my taste there is not quite enough happening in these tunes; the structures are alright but there aren't the elements in place around that to lift the pieces to a level where I feel I really want to listen to them. I feel like I have heard the whole track after the first 10 seconds. I feel...

I feel... uninspired. This gives me the impression of early experiments; a young artist playing about, finding a style, hitting on some reasonable patterns and then perhaps not having the nous or experience to build upon that and deliver something that reaches beyond the bland. I hope he learned and improved, because there's something to it in places. Come In... is a step in the right direction, softer, subtler. It sounds more engaging than the 4 tracks before it, but I can't shake the feeling it is just resetting to the same baseline Gitch was working from.

The last two tracks lose me completely though, just offering nothing to get engaged with. The final track in particular is a mess; I guess that is intentional given the name, but frankly I can only suppose that you need to be drunk or stoned or high or something to find it other than awful. So, yes... weird freely downloaded music is weird I guess. Nothing here to be excited about, but two tracks that weren't entirely forgettable to maintain.

No comments:

Post a Comment