26/02/2017

Cheap Tricks E.P. - Thea Gilmore

Track list:

2. It All Gets Buried In the End
3. Let the Blue Sky In

Running time: 6 minutes
Released: 2006
Another shorty. Cheap Tricks was probably my favourite track off Gilmore's Harpo's Ghost. It has an urgency and energy to it that I liked, hints of the indignation that drove her songwriting earlier in her career - the bits I always loved about Thea Gilmore records. I still have a definite penchant for punchy, strident music from intelligent female vocalists. The barrier isn't even very high for that - a simple, purposeful bass is often enough.

I was long past singles by this point,  though I do have  few physical Gilmore singles - freebies from another order I seem to recall - just not this one. I don't remember ever buying these things digitally so I am not sure where I got these two tracks; the title track is not here, because I have the album version.

It All Gets Buried in the End is a slow, deliberate song, with a soft focus on the vocal - a bit of an open room sound - slight echo, but intimacy as well. The music is staid though, and the song is of a repetitive form, the title making constant appearance. I find it pleasant but tiresome - in that I like the way the vocal is recorded but the lyric and the rhythm both leave me cold and unengaged.  The second track has a brighter sound in the guitar, a cleaner, happier tone - lighter sound. Not exactly carefree though - its a worn out, tired kind of joy. It appeals to my rather worn out brain - I have been snowed under in people these past two days, and am enjoying some welcome quiet time as I prepare for the new week.

The chorus is a bit flat and I can definitely see why neither of these tracks made it past being B-sides. After setting up the intro to this post, Cheap Tricks got embedded in my brain and I have snatched listens to Thea songs over the weekend, before and after guests. Sitting through these now, these two are not amongst her strongest.

No comments:

Post a Comment