27/12/2017

Comments of the Inner Chorus - Tunng

Track list:

1. Hanged
2. Woodcat
3. The Wind Up Bird
4. Red and Green
5. Stories
6. Jenny Again
7. Man in the Box
8. Jay Down
9. It's Because... We've Got Hair
10. Sweet William
11. Engine Room

Running time: 42 minutes
Released: 2006
As much as I like Tunng, my favour has always fallen on Good Arrows and And Then We Saw Land. outside of those two albums I haven't listened nearly as much. I suspect that's probably a mistake and I hope this listen will back that up and convince me I should give them more time. We shall see.

Post-Christmas haze. First day back home alone without the family around. Blessed quiet, and space for a listen, albeit competing with the sound of the washing machine in the kitchen. Can't have everything. Hanged starts with precarious found sounds, wandering light beeps and rustling percussion. There is a structure to it though, and it begins to coalesce into something more... then abruptly ends with a vocal sample. An idiosyncratic start, very Tunng, very good for setting the tone. Then we get into a picked guitar loop to start Woodcat, and Sam Genders' soft whispered vocal.

My two favourite Tunng albums sit either side of Genders' split from the band, but I love his vocal style. It's comforting, familiar, understated. It is like a little aural cushion to fall back on to. It wouldn't fit with the bolder sounds of And Then We Saw Land, but Genders-era Tunng were lower key, and labeled with the horrible portmanteau "Folktronica." I can see where the genre-labelers were coming from but really... It's not folk, and it's not electronica. It's not really even between the two, though it is hard to argue against it containing elements of the latter. Tunes are almost incidental as the intriguing array of found sounds and samples predominates over the instrumentation in terms of how the tracks are built and structured. For a man who wasn't keen on being the centre of attention, Genders situates his vocal very much at the fore of these pieces, too - though I don't think anyone could call the lyrics visionary, or insightful.

There is a nice emphasis on structural elements to these tracks, the counterpoint to the relative lack of melody. On Red and Green, for example the tune comes from the variation in the vocal to begin with, whilst the rhythm is prominent, up front and all squeaks and beeps - yet somehow without any harshness to them, and not out of place either. The higher pitch beeps used to form the beats has a tinge of birdsong to it, despite clearly being electric rather than organic. In some respects this is a strange album. It's harder to get into than the more tuneful works that followed but quietly rewarding once you get past the rather odd first impression.

Their tunes are quite hooky, too. As in they all have some little quirk your ear can latch onto and have your brain replicate again and again. I suspect I might be hearing the main loop of Man in the Box for the rest of the day.

Huh. I just noticed that the track list I pulled had 13 tracks for the album, but I only have 11. I wonder if I am missing a couple of bonus numbers? It could also be to do with some hidden tracks in the final number as its 8 minute run time is a little suspicious.

In some ways these songs are all vignettes at heart, a core idea. The group then layer little explorations and theories expanding around that core to build neat little baubles. This listen feels more like wandering through a gallery of things than it does sitting down to appreciate a composition. The Science Museum made into music. A hundred different little things to peer at and move on. It's quite a special feeling, but not really one that this project sets out to capture. I mention that because my attention is wandering... less so from appreciating the sounds presented to me, rather from being able to formulate coherent notes to tie it all together.  The little intricacies and aural oddities that crop up here and there, the somewhat off-kilter sounds, they all pull thought away from typing.

Ah, the final number, Engine Room, is the one track I really recognise from its opening notes. A really strong guitar hook, with a nice roll to it over an ominously tight picked center. It moves away from that core as it goes but its a very strong opening. By the time it becomes a space-y metallic fade out I am not quite sure where the time went. That is about the 4.20 mark, so there are some hidden track shenanigans here, but thankfully there is next to no silence (so it escapes the tag). I am not so enamoured of the postscript though... it's perfectly fine, but no more - and frankly the majority of this album is so much more than merely fine that this waffling final few moments is a complete anti-climax.

I really liked this one; I am not surprised by that, but it has made me think that I should expand the range of Tunng albums that make it to the commute-box.

No comments:

Post a Comment