08/11/2014

7777777 - Allo Darlin'

Track List:

1. Only Dust Behind
2. Dear John
3. Kings & Queens

Running time: 8 minutes
Released: 2012
So it turns out there were a load of Allo Darlin' B-sides and E.P.s available on Bandcamp. I had never checked before, but now have a handful of new tunes, including this set.

I have never heard two of the three tracks before this but it starts very breezily, if quietly. Only Dust Behind is charming enough but there it is lacking something I cannot quite put my finger on. Dear John is a little poppier, more sparkle to the guitar. The vocal is uncharacteristically subdued in places though and it is not amongst their better songs.

Kings & Queens (written with the ampersand here) is a version of a tune which appears on We Come From the Same Place. It is significantly different to the album version, much more raw and possibly a little more catchy.

Overall these 3 tracks are pretty standard examples of Allo Darlin' tracks in terms of construction and, as I like what that tends to mean, I like these tunes. I would not hold any of them up amongst my favourites but all three made me smile, which is a good thing on a cold, wet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment