06/11/2014

Amazon Artist Lounge E.P. - Sharon van Etten

Track list:

1. Tarifa
2. Afraid of Nothing
3. Taking Chances

Running time: 13 minutes
Released: 2014
So I think this must have been a free sampler from Amazon at some point earlier this year, in advance of the album Are We There. They are 3 live recordings of tracks from that album. I do not own any other music by Sharon Van Etten and I cannot think I would have bought these tracks cold for actual cash, but they are no longer listed as free on Amazon (UK at least). This is a completely blind listen.

My immediate response is that I am not taken with her voice. Not that it is bad necessarily, just that it does nothing for me - particularly in the harmonies which simply fall flat; actually they are less pleasant than that. Musically the structure is clearly just her, a guitar and backing singer, and the playing is pretty flat and dull. All in all, I really do not like Tarifa much.

There is more depth to the other tracks as keyboards/synths appear. This immediately gives the tunes a better balance, gives a more complete sound as the instruments play off against each other, rather than simply having a harsh guitar against very harsh vocal. Unfortunately the vocal does no more for me than it did on that first track. Some of it might be echo, the recordings were done in a church, but... no. Not interested. The final track is the most appealing of the three but it does not do nearly enough to force its way into being kept. Good job I got these for free because that is more than what they are worth to me; those 13 minutes are all gone and no coming back. I imagine that the album versions of these tracks are more tuneful, better produced etc. but I will not be finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment