13/11/2014

Animal Magic - Bonobo

Track list:

1. Intro
2. Sleepy Seven
3. Dinosaurs
4. Kota
5. Terrapin
6. The Plug
7. Shadowtricks
8. Gypsy
9. Sugar Rhyme
10. Silver

Running time: 44 minutes
Released: 2000
A firm favourite now, going back to when I first picked it up. This album was one of the reasons I started buying up electronica for a while. I am interested to see how it stands up to the passage of time and to a listen through in full. I know I still love these tracks when they show up in rotation (as Terrapin did on 1 November) - and the fact I remember that 2 weeks on says something.

The intro can be disregarded in shuffle, but in long form, it... no, it does not set things up well - there's too much dead space on the end before track 2 starts. With Sleepy Seven starts the love. The chimes and the beat already hit that laid back tone before the main themes kick in and then: relaxation. I get excited about this album because it is so immensely unexcitable, a paragon of chill-out. Yes, it is a style that deservedly takes a lot of flak for not really doing anything, but I do not feel that is a fair criticism of early Bonobo (I like his later work less, I have to say). There is a lot going on in this track, voice samples, chimes, beats, the theme, pattern breaks; there is always something to actually listen to whilst disengaging from your daily stresses and strains.

I am less fond of Dinosaurs; the rhythm grabs me less, and the drone-like quality to the theme is so-so, but the sampled muted trumpets I like. The track builds though, and improves as it goes a little before fizzling out. Kota always felt like token ethnicity as a title, not sure why, but as the layers build up over the looped string sample it does work to relax me - or maybe that's the booze. Finally got some long-awaited shelves up today; celebrating a much more spacious and clearer kitchen and hall. I think I like the melodic breaks in this track more than its staple pattern.

Terrapin is the tune that makes the album for me. As much as I adore Sleepy Seven, it is this track that will forever define Bonobo for me. Something about the structure of the main loops, call and answer, and then the up-and-down of the backing just really clicks for me. The vocal samples do not fit so well with the general ambiance but otherwise this is pretty much the perfect bliss out track for me. Things going on, really melodic, slow pace and just brought together perfectly with a light touch. The mood is maintained nicely by The Plug, where the clarinet (?) line is a particular joy but it is more fleeting and less prominent than I remember. The vocal sample is much better integrated though and the whole track simply carries on the wonderful mood that has been established already.

Shadowtricks changes that mood, but slooooows everything down, maintaining the relaxation that way. The titter of high notes occasionally sounds like something is about to fall over and need catching, but the introduction of a jazz trumpet sample quashes that or rather translates it to your eyelids. Unfortunately Gypsy is a little too repetitive and dull to maintain the nice detachment from reality, it breaks the spell a little, snapping me out of the trance. It has a darker theme, continued in the next track and whilst this is still pretty good at sloughing away the stresses and strains of the day, it does not give me the same emotional response that the first half of the album does.

Thankfully Silver is more in tune with that melodic approach seen earlier. It is lighter, using strings and more trumpets to create interest over a bustling bass. It is a nice closer, reaffirming my faith in the album. One thing this project seems to be teaching me is that I ascribe favourites based on emotional memories, but very often the albums that I give that tag do not stand up well, rather one or two really strong tracks stand out and inform my overall opinion. I often feel that if an album has 3 great tracks on it that it has been a good buy, which when you stop and think about it is often a terrible hit rate. I am also coming to the conclusion that my ability to enjoy the album as a long-form work has been undermined by so many years of shuffling everything. Yes, the car always gave me room for disc-based appreciation, but fundamentally when driving I am always concentrating on something else, so I can miss whole swathes without realising it.

I guess I am just frustrated that so many of these listens generate negative copy, even on the ones I really like. I would not be being honest if I held back the less positive thoughts when listening but I think I need a more affirmative way of phrasing things when there is good to communicate.

Animal Magic remains a favourite for its ability to create and maintain overall mood. There are only a couple of stand out tracks, but the others serve purpose in keeping you attuned to the downtempo, chilled ambiance. I think it is Bonobo's best record.

No comments:

Post a Comment